Jesus said, “To whom much is given, much is required” (Luke 12:48). One young Pioneers couple serving in Croatia took these words to heart. Having been born in Switzerland, they say, “Everything in Switzerland was great. The life, the education, everything was a gift. And we wanted to use those gifts to serve in a place that doesn’t have the same things.”
Croatia is experiencing a famine—not of food, but of hope. With a depressed economy, young people who are able have left their nation in pursuit of a better future. Those that have stayed behind lack hopeful prospects for the future. Not only are jobs rare, but so is business know-how, an entrepreneurial spirit, workplace ethics, and—above all—the influence of Christ. With an evangelical population of 0.38%, Croatia is spiritually dark.
The Pioneers’ dream is to open a community center for young adults. They envision a place where students and young professionals gather to drink coffee, study, network, hear workshops given by business people, and experience the care and investment of Christ followers who want to mentor them. In the meantime, they create events and concerts in the community, where young people can gather for social connection, encouragement, and to build relationships—all with a Gospel intentionality. The Pioneers say that a night out with people who carry the light of Christ can bear great fruit.
Are you willing to give your good gifts for the expanse of the Gospel in Croatia? The Pioneers in Zagreb would love to grow their team. They are looking for short-term or long-term commitments from people who:
- Love young adults, have a very positive outlook on life, and value a ministry of presence.
- Have business skills or the desire to mentor young business people.
- Have business connections and can provide leads for the digital and online marketplace.
- Love Christ and are willing to use the good gifts He has given to invest in others.
- No foreign language required—90% of 16-30 year old Croats speak English very well.